Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine (as seen on any number of book blogs but that I specifically borrowed from The Candid Cover) that showcases upcoming releases that we are eagerly anticipating. Here at Completely Booked, this week’s pick for Waiting on Wednesday is:
Title: The Bone Witch
Author: Rin Chupeco
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publication Date: March 7, 2017
Summary (From Goodreads):
When Tea accidentally resurrects her brother from the dead, she learns she is different from the other witches in her family. Her gift for necromancy means that she’s a bone witch, a title that makes her feared and ostracized by her community. But Tea finds solace and guidance with an older, wiser bone witch, who takes Tea and her brother to another land for training.
In her new home, Tea puts all her energy into becoming an asha — one who can wield elemental magic. But dark forces are approaching quickly, and in the face of danger, Tea will have to overcome her obstacles…and make a powerful choice.
Thoughts: I almost wasn’t sure whether to do this one or to do Stephanie Garber’s Caraval. I decided The Bone Witch was a better pick because while I hear people talk about it, it still doesn’t (to me, at least) have as much love as it deserves. Here’s the thing. I need this book and I have ever since I saw it on Goodreads. I believe its release date has been pushed back since I saw it last, but I will wait as long as I have to in order to get my hands on this book. I feel like Sourcebook Fire is killing it with the books its been publishing, especially with both this book and the upcoming Labyrinth Lost. As for The Bone Witch,the author describes it as having all of the following (quoted from her own Goodreads review):
1. Geisha-esque girl fighters and strategists wielding powerful magic and throwing shade.
2. Male counterparts who dress in black and kick ass.
3. Undead gigantic demonic beasts that do not die for long, no matter how many times you kill them
4. Bone witches who can CONTROL undead gigantic demonic beasts, albeit not indefinitely
5. Unexpected bonds between a sister and the now almost-indestructible dead brother she kinda sortof accidentally resurrected (who still maintains a surprising sense of humor about the whole thing)
6. A couple of guys who can forge people new hearts to wear (and will be pretty important in the next book, which I am working on atm) —
7. — because almost everyone LITERALLY wear their hearts around their necks.
Essentially, I cannot wait for this book. Geishas and demons and witchcraft and the undead are all just a few of my favorite things. It’s definitely one I will be snatching up immediately and I’m sure it will be everything it promises and so, so much more.
What are you waiting on this Wednesday?